Sunday, April 3, 2022

Contentment: hard to find for so many, for so long, and it doesn't have to be this way.

https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos
 Imagine just sitting on the beach, sipping an adult beverage, and soaking up the sun.  Maybe your idea of a moment of contentment is simply sitting around with your dog and relaxing.  No matter what brings you contentment, the question I have for you this morning is this: are you allowing yourself to fall into moments of contentment, or are you always searching for it, and for whatever reason unable to find it?  I want to encourage you today to set aside worry, set aside doubt, and simply be in that space called contentment.

We as humans have things that need to be done each and every day.  Some of these things are less than joyful to do, and yet we force ourselves to do them as they are a necessity.  We have to work to pay the bills.  We have to do things that given the option to do something else we would jump at the chance.  What I want you to do is simply find contentment in what you are doing, and in doing this realize that there is a reason for everything in life.  If I told you that you could be doing anything right now without regard to cost, distance, time, what would you choose to be doing?  Now like the picture, I would love be on a tropical beach just taking in the sun.  I'm not much for water activity, but yep, a chair on the beach sounds just about perfect.  Now most people would not think this possible, but once again, without regard to time, money, responsibilities, what would you be doing?  Contentment is simply accepting where you are at, and loving what is going on in the moment.  When we can find the joy in things, we are creating more joy.  If on the other hand everything you touch is misery, then what do you think you are about to bring into your situation?  Remember, we were created to create, good, bad, or indifferent.  

Contentment is not the easiest thing to find simply because we are bombarded by every day things, quite frankly every day.  Our focus is normally on what we are doing, and what we are doing is not always in alignment with what we truly want.  Quite the predicament  wouldn't you say?  Well I have a suggestion, and as difficult as it may be to do what I am going to recommend, if you choose to do it, sooner or later you will find contentment, and then life changes in a major way.  Here's my suggestion: stop fighting things, and realize that all things are lessons.  Lessons take us to the next level, and getting to the next level is what will allow you to find the contentment in life.  I love nothing more than coming home from my office knowing that I get to spend the next few hours with my two dogs.  I find contentment knowing that they will be wagging their tails when I walk in the door, and they know that they for the most part will have my undivided attention.  They bring me love, they bring me joy, and they just want to sit on my lap and be close to me.  In my world that's a pretty good thing.  

Most people have goals in life.  The problem arises when those goals consume you, and you never allow yourself the time to relax and simply smell the roses. I was taking with my best friend last night, she from Washington DC, me in Texas, we were sharing a bottle of wine long distance, and just chatting.  I was explaining some of the things I was feeling, and she, as she normally does hit the nail on the head.  I've always been pretty tough on myself in terms of what I expected, and she reminded me to stop doing that.  When we start beating ourselves up for what we are doing, or in some cases what we are not doing, we are not allowing contentment to surround us, and when that happens that space that is supposed to be filled with contentment is now filled with chaos.  Now given the option of living in chaos or living in contentment, which one makes more sense?  

Contentment can only come to you when you realize who you are, what you are, and why you are here in the first place.  I know I sound like a broken record but we really do have to understand the significance of our design, the perfection of that design, and the perfection of our being here in this moment.  Most people who are walking about with out contentment in their life are the very same people who haven't a clue as to the real them.  The gifts and callings of God are without repentance, that means that our Creator doesn't make mistakes, and you being here is no mistake.  Certainly there are things that happen in life that are not always pleasant, not always joyful, but if you can find the joy in all things, you will find the opportunity to live in contentment.  

This world we live in has been in absolute turmoil over the last few years.  We have seen people go over the edge.  In many ways the phrase "only the strong survive" is fairly accurate.  The question often arises of how do we find contentment in the chaos?  How do we find joy or peace in the midst of pain and suffering?  We first must accept our greatness.  We must understand not with standing what may be going on around us, that we are not defined by it.  Far too many people have accepted as truth what they see in the papers or on television.  Too many people have not been able to see through the fog, and have stopped any forward progress because that fog is so thick.  Well truth be told that fog is nothing more than a smoke screen sent to get people to look away from what is really real.  I know this must sound crazy to some but we really do have the ability to simply walk past the darkness, slip away from the confusion, and set aside fear and doubt.  It is the darkness, the confusion, and the fear and doubt that will kill a vision, a stifle a dream.  

Contentment is simply this: knowing that you have been equipped with all you need to live the life you were always intended to live, experiencing the joy of life, a joy mind you, that is far bigger, more intense, and meant for you.  Contentment may be a beach, it may be a sofa with dogs, it may be book beside a fire place sipping a hot tea at night.  Contentment may start out as little things, but little tings can and will grow into bigger things.  Heck, if I had a bunch of little things that bring me contentment, don't they add up to a huge big thing?  Find the joy of little things, and let it grow for you.  Trust me, there is joy all around if you will simply allow it to be so.  Contentment is something we all need, and it is something we need to accept for ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment