Monday, November 21, 2016

Are you still standing?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84387357@N00/4641324110
If you're like me, this year has been everything I thought it would be.  I came into 2016 expecting some changes, some challenges, and yes even some victories.  While the victories have been there, it's the changes and the challenges that come to the forefront of my mind as I write today.  I've talked to many friends who feel as though this year has been chaotic beyond description. Others have simply navigated the waters as best they could all the while hoping against hope that they would eventually make it safely to port.

It's traditional to look at Thanksgiving week as a time to reflect on all the blessings we have had during the past year, and also look forward to the blessings that we hope will manifest in the upcoming year.  What I would like you to do today is to look at things a little differently then you might have looked at them in the past.  What I would like you to do today is to realize that you have been victorious because quite frankly you are still here.  You are still standing, and minus a few bumps and bruises, you are still here to tell the tale of what life has been like for you over the last 11 or so months.  It's so easy to sometimes just want to throw in the towel and give up.  It's also extremely easy to walk away from those things that seem nearly impossible to do.  That being said, I am a believer in the impossible, and I want to challenge you to look at things a little differently.  Impossible is something we fall back on all to often.  Impossible is something we accept all to often.  Impossible is something we have to stop thinking about and instead look at possibilities.

Our country has come through trying times in the past.  Most people have lived through tough times and many more will have to walk the path of trials and tribulations in the future.  The thing that is most important in all of this is to realize that you are still standing, even when others around you have given up.  I've made a huge effort to stay away from making any political statements over the last year or so, despite the fact that our country is so divided.  Our country is more polarized now then at any time in recent memory.  Whether your candidate of choice won or lost is not the issue.  What is important is that you set aside any animosities and simply focus on what you need to do.  I've watched as others have made the conscious decision to protest the President-Elect.  I've watched as others have chosen violence over love.  I've watched anger drive actions, and those actions have hurt innocent lives.  When one makes the decision to strike back at others, they have placed themselves in a position that will only lead to personal destruction.  I get how angry some people are, what I don't get is how in god's name can someone justify smashing car windows, burning vehicles, and other wise lashing out in such a manner. Now I know this may be just a little off topic today, but I just needed to get that off my chest. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcasting, LOL.

Over the last few months I have had to make some tough decisions, and those decisions are what will bring me to the next phase of my life.  Not every decision was easy to make, and while I still have a few things to clean up so to speak, I have made the decision that moving forward is the only option I have.  I'm still standing after all the turmoil of the last few years. I'm still standing after all of the uncertainty of the last few years.  I'm still standing even after there were times when all I wanted to do was run and hide.  I understand the desire to just hole up and do nothing.  I really do get why some people just want to give up the ghost and move on to something else.  What I want to encourage you to do is to think about those things you desire most in life, and understand that they are desires for one reason:  you're supposed to do something with them.

Destiny is why you are here.  Your destiny, whether you fully understand it yet, is what allows you to still be standing in this moment.  It would be great if all we had to do was celebrate success in life.  It would be great if no one ever knew about failure or set-backs.  In reality we will all have to deal with bumps in the road, but in the end what will never leave you is the very reason you are present on this earth right now, and that one thing is your destiny.  Destiny knows no time line, it knows no limits, and it will come about when it's supposed to come about.  Your role is to prepare yourself for the eventual time when you step out into your destiny and you become whole.

We all have a part to play in this world today.  What part that is, well you will have to discover it for yourself.  If you want to be thankful for something, be thankful that you are alive right now, and that you have everything you need to be the person you desire to be, doing the things you desire to do.  You're still standing, and you're standing for a reason.  Think about that for a minute or two and then get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment