Monday, November 2, 2015

Gratitude, the thing that starts everything.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85608594@N00/11703694273
Often we face situations in life that stop us from appreciating the little things.  Often it is the little things in life that are our springboard to bigger and better things.  Gratitude, or the ability to show gratitude, is the one thing that will change us, and change us for the better.  Gratitude is what creates peace in our life, and peace is what most of us desperately want, but often find it difficult to find it daily.

Today I want you to begin to be thankful for the little things in your life.  If you can begin to be grateful for each breath, for each word you speak, for each person you come in contact with, then you will learn that gratitude will begin to pave the way for bigger and better things in your life.

I am grateful for so many things in my life.  I am grateful for family and friends.  I am grateful for what I get to do each day.  There was a time when all I wanted was more stuff.  Stuff had become my measuring stick for success.  The more stuff I had, then obviously the more successful I was, or at least the more successful others thought I was.  I didn't have the time to appreciate what I had because all I wanted to do was get more stuff.  It was a trap, and regretfully it was a trap that I found myself in for many years.  When I finally got to the point where I could release all my accumulations, then and only then could I truly appreciate what I had, and come to an understanding of what was really important.

If you are constantly on the prowl for more stuff, for more accolades of success, then I will tell you that the one thing missing in your life will be peace.  You cannot continue to strive after things and expect peace to be your constant companion.  Gratitude and peace go hand in hand, and I will say that having both in your life will certainly make things a whole lot better. Think about it:  when you are able to be grateful for little things, doesn't it seem like things are just better.  I recently purchased a new car.  The one I had was on its last leg and there was no way it was going to pass the inspection that was coming up in just a couple of months.  When I got the new car I was so grateful.  The vehicle wasn't new by any stretch of the imagination, but it was new to me.  I was grateful to have it because now I had reliable transportation for the winter, and I was no longer going to have to think about what it was going to cost me to try to get my old vehicle road worthy.  When I began to show gratitude for the new car, peace followed.  I'm telling you, gratitude brings peace, and peace brings calm and appreciation into your life.  I know of no one who could not use a little calm in their life, nor would they not like peace at all times.

When was the last time you took a few minutes to simply be grateful for what you have and not look at the things you don't have?  If you are unable to be grateful for the little things, then it's doubtful you will ever get to the point where you think you want to be.  If you are constantly striving for more and forget to look at what you have, then you will be on a road that ultimately leads no where.  Trust me, I've been on that road before and the journey is anything but enjoyable.

So what are you grateful for today?  When was the last time you displayed gratitude for what was present in your life?  If you are unable to answer these questions, maybe it's time to rethink a few things.  I'm not trying to pile up on you, but face it: no gratitude, no peace.  It's that simple!

I've known many people in my life who were trapped in the corporate rat race.  Their only focus was climbing the ladder.  Certainly they had success, but is success without peace really worth it?  You can have all the signs of success, but a life void of peace and gratitude will ultimately take you down.  Do you really want that, and more importantly are you willing to tempt fate?  Be grateful for what you have, and watch things change.

I am grateful for so much, and yes there are days when I have to remind myself to show that gratitude.  I love the peace that prevails when I show gratitude, and trust me, a life full of peace is far better then a life striving after more and more things.  If you find yourself on that road to no-where then maybe you can start by being grateful for the little things you have.  Once you start, I promise you that it will get easier and easier to show that gratitude, and once you do this, then things will magically fall into place.  Things that you have desired will come into existence and then life, your life, will improve in ways that just might amaze you.

Gratitude, displaying gratitude, indeed will start things moving in your life.  Intransigence in this area is only going to make matters worse, so why not give in to gratitude and change your life forever?  Whether you have a little, or have a lot, be happy with it, show gratitude for it, and watch things grow for you.  A life centered in gratitude will be a life that knows peace, joy, and happiness.  When you are constantly immersed in peace, joy, and happiness, then you will have what others want so desperately, and you can then help them find it as well.  Be grateful my friends, it is the beginning of everything.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for all blessings, especially you, Scott and the wonderful words of wisdom you share with all of us! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Scott. I am truly grateful for each and every day. Especially thankful for good friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Scott. I am truly grateful for each and every day. Especially thankful for good friends and family.

    ReplyDelete