Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Self-discovery, it's not just a buzz word!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marynbtol/9230627912
So you have finally figured out that you have no idea who you really are.  This is great, and this is the real first step in discovering your unique self.  The self that was placed here on this planet.  The self that has a destiny.  The self that you were always intended to be, but somehow others have gotten you off course.  It's OK, most of us have been there, and there will be those who will still need to make this trek into the land of discovery.

However, you are well on your way, so I applaud your efforts and now lets take it one step further.  The process of self-discovery is different for every person.  It is sometimes laced with harbingers of well meaning, however one-sided opinions of what you should be like.  The process of self-discovery is never about what others think, but ultimately what you know deep in your core.

I have seen people who play around with self-discovery as if it were the flavor of the week.  One day they are like this, the next they are like that.  They are tossed and spun around in circles until they can't decipher what's up or down, left or right.  Most people who have not made the discovery of who they are tend to get whipped around and around until their own head is spinning at such a rate that they simply give up, call it a day, and just let life move past them.  If you truly desire to figure out who you are, then you are going to have to take hold of the reins, forget about what others have told you, and focus, focus, focus.

Anthony Paul Moo-Young, also known as Mooji, once said this, "Step into the fire of self-discovery.  This fire will not burn you, it will only burn what you are not." Self-discovery allows you to drop the phony fronts you have lived with for what seems like eternity.  It will allow you to be the person you were always destined to be, doing those things that you were always destined to do.

When I was much younger I was an egomaniac.  I was so stuck-up, pompous, and arrogant, it is a wonder I ever survived this long.  I would create scenarios in my mind and they became so real that even I could not tell what was real and what was make believe.  I did all this because I wanted to fit in.  I wanted to be wanted.  I wanted to be admired.  I just wanted to be more then I was, because quite frankly I didn't like who I was.  I didn't like who I was because I had no clue who I was.  I was so caught up in having this, or obtaining that, that nothing else mattered.  If I wasn't driving the nicest car, or wearing the nicest clothes, then I was somehow "less" in the eyes of those around me.  What I discovered is that even with having the nicest things, I was still empty, still lonely, and still without a purpose for my life.  You can fill the coffers with all manner of stuff, but at the end of the day, it will never add up to anything of worth.

Self-discovery is the only thing that will loose the henchman's noose around your neck and allow you to be free from those things that have kept you from discovering and walking in your destiny.  Self-discovery is the only thing that will allow you to define who you really are.  As Brennan Manning says everything else is simply an illusion.  What you display may be what you want others to see, but until such time as you discover who you really are, it is still an illusion and illusions are never real.  If we can get to the point where we don't care what others think, were we don't change who we are just to fit it, were we can be our true, unique self, then you will have finally begun the process of self-discovery.

I will tell you this my lovelies, when you finally get to the point where you have had enough of being who you are not, then and only then will you step into the realm of self-discovery.  When the weight and pressure of keeping up a persona that is not you begins to take its toll on you, then you will step into the realm of self-discovery.  Trust me, being free to be free, is what eliminates almost 95 percent of the stress in your life.  When you are constantly expending energy to keep up a phony facade then you are wasting all that energy that could be used for something else.

You are a divine being.  Within your divinity is the real you.  It is the person that was intended, and it is the person that you will discover.  Illusions of the past will fall away, and you will understand the reason you are here, and you will walk in your destiny.  I can talk about destiny all day long, but until such time as you disengage from the images of the past, images you created out of a need to fit in, you will never discover your purpose.  Discovering your uniqueness, accepting your uniqueness, and walking in your uniqueness is why you are here.  If you feel as thought you are just like everyone else, destined to be chained to a job you hate, only having enough money to get by, wishing things were better then they are, then you have not discovered your true self.  You have allowed others to define you, and you are now trapped in their desires for you.  Your desire needs to be discovering your own way.  Your path to self-discovery begins with a knowledge that you are worthy of knowing who you are.  Lay the ax to that root that has kept you locked in step with the rest of society and tell those who want to keep you down to pound sand.

Yes it is time to take a journey into the realm of self-discovery, but like any journey you undertake, it is not recommended that you go it alone. Reach out to others who have made this journey and allow them to help you navigate the path.  Trust me, when you finally discover the real you, then you will never ever have to play make believe again.  You will never want to be something you are not.  You will want to help others make this same discovery.  It is time to know the real you, so that others can see what a real person is like.  I wish you well on your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment