Thursday, December 23, 2010

True Destiny, If Life is a Journey, Why go it alone?

It is the day before the night before Christmas, and in my house a lot is stirring as I have already shoveled the drive way, posted on facebook and now writing the blog for the day. I received a small gift in the mail yesterday. What it was and who it was from is not important, but the thought behind it brought tears to my eyes and love pouring out of my heart. We tend to get wrapped up in all the gift giving this time of year. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy getting presents, but not nearly as much as I enjoy giving presents to others. When I opened this gift I caught myself thinking about what it took to get it to me, what it took to prepare it, and what it took to think about me in the first place. We all have gifts and talents inside of us, that are just waiting to be given to others so they may benefit from them. No gift or talent is so small that it is not worth putting out there. Do we ever really know how what we do from day to day effects others? A smile, a wink, a nod, all gifts that may just change a life forever. I am moved to tears just thinking about the gift I received, not because I deserved the gift, but because the giver of the gift thought I deserved it. That simple act of kindness and love that has touched me to my very core. That simple act of love that has made me keenly aware that others out there are thinking about me. That simple act of giving that makes me swell up with love for this person because of their desire to bless me. It is never the size of the gift that counts, but the thought behind the gift. Believe me when I say, that this small gesture means more to me than if someone walked up to me and handed me a million dollars. Now there are many skeptics out there right now who will not choose to believe me when I say that. They are the same ones who are soiled with what the world expects and what others have shown in the past. The very same ones who will always look for the ulterior motives in any act of kindness. They for the life of them can not understand why someone would want to do something nice for someone else without the slightest desire for anything in return.

As I sit and write this morning my mind is full of varying thoughts, some joyful, some tranquil, others just thoughts of Christmases past, present, and future. The past, full of memories, of a time when things were a little simpler, less stressful, and we didn't carry the concerns of this day on our shoulders. The present, a time to make new memories, and hoping for those same simpler times when worry and dread were only things we saw on television and not in our own lives. The future, full of hope and promise, and visions of joy, happiness, and peace around the world. Oh if only life were that simple, but guess what it can be that simple. Now I won't stand here and say that things can not be trying and complex at times, we all know it is going to happen. But we can live in simpler times, we just have to decide to do it and not let the turmoil that others face get us down and we pick up their turmoil.

As we step ever closer to Christmas Day maybe it's time to remember the past, to cheer us up. Take a look at today to realize that things aren't as bad as them seem. Take time to dream about the future as the possibilities are endless. Christmas comes but once a year, but that once a year is full of little presents, that dollar wise don't add up to much, but the love poured into them and from them is a pot of gold at the end of any rainbow. Never begrudge little gifts, they often mean the most and come with an unconditional love that many want, need, and would sacrifice all for. Give the gift of love to those that mean the most to you, and see if that doesn't change your outlook on life. Remember it is never the size of the gift that counts, but the amount of love that comes with it. Think about it........

No comments:

Post a Comment