Tuesday, November 16, 2010

True Destiny; If life is a Journey, Why Go it Alone?

What a day to be alive!! It's not that anything spectacular has happened, nor do I expect anything out of the ordinary to take place today. I guess the reason for my excitement is that I have an opportunity again today to bring a smile to some one's face and hope. Hope for a better tomorrow. Hope for dreams to come to fruition. Hope for a time of peace and happiness in a life full of dread and fear.

A very good and old friend of mine, who shall remain nameless has much difficulty during the holiday season. It might be stress, let's face it there are all types of pressures that manifest themselves during this time of year. We place so many expectations on ourselves and others to perform a certain way. Peace on Earth Goodwill toward Men; how many people haven't a clue what this really means. We head into this season hoping for the best, but regrettably expecting the worse. My friend will hold up by himself just to escape the pressure he feels this time of year. Maybe it's time to take a step back and really look at what this season means, and why we celebrate it. If anyone has been out shopping since the end of October you will undoubtedly see that all the holiday decorations have been put up in every mall, and shop of every size. The street hangers are out in force expressing the holiday spirit. Town squares have cleared out a spot for the city Christmas Tree, and soon you will hear the ringing bells on every corner and entrance to stores. It is an event that has taken place each year, same time, same channel. We have come to expect certain things this time of year, and I dare say we are never disappointed. Well disappointed may not be the best descriptor. We have come to understand what the merchandising efforts are and they never disappoint.

All ready television stations are running Christmas or Holiday movies 24/7. Now don't get me wrong. I love Christmas. I am very much a child during this period of the year. Truth be told I am a child pretty much the entire year, but this season gives me an excuse to really play up that part of my personality. I will have my Christmas tree up Thanksgiving night, and the house will be in full Christmas splendor by the end of Thanksgiving night. It is my custom, and I look forward to it each year. Here's the big difference with me; I truly believe in Peace on Earth Goodwill toward Men. I take extra time during this season to give from my heart. I have said this before, it's never the size or cost of a gift that counts, it is the thought behind the gift. For someone to care enough about me to give me a gift means the world to me. I could be a tiny rock in a box, and it is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

This will not be the last time I write about the holidays before the end of the year. It seems to be a topic of discussion each day, but as we approach the season that is my absolute favorite time of year, I'd like to think I bring light and perspective to those seeking it out. Let me take pause to make one clarifying point; whether you observe this season for the spiritual significance or simply because it is a holiday where families get together once a year. This is a season to forget about the materialism and think about what is important to you.

This time of year is not about how much money we need to spend on each other. It's not about the number of gifts wrapped up and ready to be passed out. It's not even whether you get to eat at the big people's table this year and not relegated to the little kids table. No, it is about love, peace, happiness, joy, and dare I say it, the future.

We all have a future. Many people have a hard time believing this, but that is because life has a way of slapping us in the face from time to time, but a future is there for everyone. As we enter this festive holiday season take time to reflect on all the good in your life and the value you bring to mankind just by being who you are. Your gifts and talents are in you to help others. They have been crafted and developed by each passing day and now is the time to step out of the norm and begin to give back. Let the best gift you give this year be the gift of yourself. You may not think you have a lot to offer, but that is only because you have not looked inside your heart and seen all the good that is in you. You have what others need, so start giving. It may start out as just a smile or simple greeting to a stranger, but that is just the beginning. Try it on for size and see if you don't turn it into a super value meal in just a few short moments. You will be changed forever and so will the ones you come in contact with. Think about it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment