Monday, November 8, 2010

True Destiny; If life is a Journey, Why Go it Alone?

When I grow up I want to…….

If anyone has been around me very long they will tell you that I refuse to act my age, and I never plan on growing up. It’s not that I don’t like getting older, heck I think I look pretty good for my age, I just don’t want to think it’s going to be over before I am ready to go. I have had many changes in careers during my short time on this earth, some of them planned, some not so much. The common thread that has appeared through each of these transitions has been a period of clarity and self-awareness. Now not every change has come at the perfect time, and I like so many others have been overtaken by fear, dread, and uncertainty. I have been lower than a snake’s belly, and I didn’t like that not even a little bit. But change is one of the only constants in the universe so you might as well come to grips with that concept and go along for the ride.

I’ve had many opportunities to speak to people about their future and what they hope to get out of life. Many times these individuals have no idea what to do, where to turn, or what is around the next corner. Guess what ladies and gentlemen, if you are going through this you’re not alone and you’re also in some pretty good company. Life has challenges, no doubt about it, and that’s no understatement. I know that I know there are folks out there who have given it all and still seem to be one step behind the rest of the crowd. Oh they try their best, but their best just doesn’t seem to be good enough. It’s like the kid who has saved and saved and saved for a special toy, and when it comes time to plop the piggy bank down at the cash register he or she is just a few cents short. To him or her it’s the end of the world. This is the time that desire meets lack smack dab, face to face. I would love to say that I have never been in this situation but I have and frankly is sucks. My dear friend there is light at the end of the tunnel. Situations will change and better times are ahead for all, one simply has to believe. If you yourself don’t have enough left to believe, then surround yourself with people who can believe for you.

I had a vision almost twenty years ago to go out and speak to people, young, middle-aged, and seniors about goals and dreams. I sat on this for years and years. Partly because I was afraid and partly because the time didn’t seem quite right. I had always wanted to write a book and I knew exactly what I wanted to write about. Once again I was afraid and I didn’t think the time was right. As things would have it I was faced with a job loss and had no idea what to do next. Remarkably that long lost, almost forgotten desire to write came back to the forefront. Heck I had nothing better to do so I began to write. As a result True Destiny, if life is a journey why go it alone? was born. They say that necessity is the mother of all invention, boy isn’t that the truth. When we get to the end of our rope and still there seems like no solution to our problem we tend to get real creative. Maybe this creativity is a last ditch effort to get something going, but last ditch efforts sometimes pay off the greatest dividends. It's not important how you get somewhere, what's important is that you try. I've said it before; should of, would of, and could of plus $3.19 will get you a large cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Life is full of should, would and could. What we fail to realize from time to time is that going through a troubled time is sometimes the greatest single learning process known to man. Personally I have learned more about myself during a troubled time in my life then at any other time when things were sailing on smoothly without ripple one in the water. Character is developed when we run into difficult situations and are forced to take actions. Actions I might add that are entirely out of ones normal routine, but actions that can create opportunity and insight.

Stayed tuned for the conclusion to this piece. I will be back on tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel. Ok stupid, but I know there are those out there who remember that saying. So until next time, go after life, and let life put a smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment