Friday, November 5, 2010

True Destiny; If life is a Journey, Why Go it Alone?

Did you ever have one of those moments when things that have been unclear and somewhat indiscernible suddenly look as clear as day? It is such a startling event you almost can't believe it's real. Life is funny that way sometimes. Just about the time one is ready to throw in the towel and give up, the answers come in rapid succession almost too fast to grab them all. One of the reasons I love writing this blog is because it is very therapeutic for me. I get answers to many of my questions on a daily basis while I put down on paper, or in this case on the computer, what is in my heart. Now there are days when I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I am a very compassionate soul. I love to help others, but in helping others I also help myself. The last few days have been spent reflecting on what I want to do when I grow up. As I approach middle age, I am guilty of reflecting on the past and wondering where the time went and what have I accomplished.

We all have regrets. Regrets of things we wish we had done, and regrets for things we did and wish we hadn't. If I had a nickel for every time I did something that was wrong I could wipe away half the national debt. Well maybe not half but a large portion of it. There is however one thing I have learned over the years; you can't change what has already happened. I was writing an article the other day for submission into a particular magazine and I wrote about missed opportunities and the desire for a "Do Over". We have all said the words, should of, could of and would of. Attached to those words are normally feelings of remorse for missed opportunities. Opportunities that could have changed the world, or just made our lives a little simpler and less tragic. Even in those times when I realize that I have missed a golden opportunity, I am comforted in the fact that I am in good company. Many many successful people have also missed several opportunities in their life. I dare say that people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett will confess to have missed it in the past. The difference between success and failure is the decision to move past missed opportunities and not just sit back and reflect on them till the end of time. Reflection is a good thing in moderation. Where the danger lies is when we take that reflection to an unhealthy level and then it becomes torment and torment will destroy a vision or dream quicker than poo poo through a goose.

If imitation is the best form of flattery then I want to imitate those who have gone before me and moved past their failures and grabbed life by the neck and not let go. I have said this so many times before; if it's worth having it's worth working for. I have had so many changes in my life over the last few years. I have seen careers come and go, fortunes won and lost. I have been to the mountain top and also to the lowest part of the valley. Through it all I have never lost my desire to reach out to others in hopes of getting them to see what is inside of them and bring in forth so others can benefit from their gifting. I think we all reach a point in our life when we decide that life is not just about "me" but about "others". What are the dreams and desires of my friends, family , and loved ones, and what can I do to help them achieve each of them. I have lived for a period of time with the mentality of take, take, take. I guess now as I have matured I want to give, give, give.

I have spoken to close friends and loved ones and discussed with them what I want when I leave these earthly bonds. Now I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but one never knows. I know that my company will be worth quite a bit of money when I die, and I also know that I will accomplish great things before I depart this world. However, I don't want to be remembered for the amount of money I leave behind, or the various positions that I may have held in my lifetime. Rather I want to be remembered as being just a friend. A person who gave away so others could reach a level of success they only dreamt of. A friend who would give away his last dollar to someone in need. A friend who cared about people so much that his needs were second place to theirs. I don't want this because I am great I want this because that is who I am.

If you were ever to come to my home you will hear my stereo on when you walk in. I have a play list that plays virtually 24/7. Well that is except during the Christmas season when the good old Christmas music plays instead. But this play list is something that I want to listen to because it keeps my vision in front of me. When I hear each song I reflect on other people and how I can help them get to the place they were destined to be. You will never pull my vision from me. I will carry it with me until I take my final breath, and I will work toward it until that time also. I care for humanity, and humanity needs what I have inside. But humanity needs what is inside of you also. So let's pull it out of you and set others on their path to success and happiness.

Let me leave you with this parting though; you have a destiny! ! You may not feel like you have one, you may never want to find out what it is, but a destiny does reside inside each of you. You may fear it, run from it, bury it, discount it, but it still will be there. You need to embrace it for all it's worth and run with it. Destiny is who you are, not what you do. If you want joy and happiness in your life, find your destiny, it is what completes us. Think about it........


No comments:

Post a Comment