Sunday, May 17, 2020

On the lighter side of things.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76060406@N07/46585900905
I figured that with all the press about Covid-19, and with what most people are going through at the moment, that maybe we could set aside a few moments this morning just to relax, maybe have a few laughs, and simply see the lighter side of things.  I hope that I can get you to think about some of the good out there in the midst of all the crap that is flying around.  It is difficult sometimes to remember that we are in fact creatures of divine nature, and that no matter what is swirling about, we are quite frankly supposed to soar above it.  Now scoring may not always be an easy thing to do, but soar we must, if for no other reason than to protect our sanity.

Doris Lessing, a Nobel Laureate, was spot on with her comment.  Laughter has the ability to heal.  The bible says that laughter works like a medicine.  I love it when my husband laughs.  It does something to me.  I can't stay sour, or down when I am exposed to laughter.  There have been times when I have bouts of uncontrollable laughter.  I mean that deep belly laugh where you almost find it difficult to catch your breath.  Now that is a good time, and it is those times that tend to take away all conflict, all sadness, all thoughts of doom and gloom.  I'd say that as a society we need that right now, more than ever.

Have you ever been in a situation where you know you shouldn't laugh, but your laughter has a mind of its own, and out it comes?  These moments are priceless, and it's these moments that I believe we need to be in right now.  There are different kinds of laughter, but we each have our own reasons to laugh, and there are different situations that bring on laughter.  I love a good sitcom on television,  I've watched several that almost bring me to tears.  I will confess that when I am in the middle of a good laugh, my laugh becomes almost this high pitched, girl like giggle.  I'm embarrassed to tell you all this, but it's who I am.  Why not be real, right?  In this realness will come peace, happiness, joy, and just a smidgeon of relief.  Have you ever noticed that it's nearly impossible to be worried about the stuff that is going on around you when you are in the middle of a laughing spell?  When I'm feeling a little out of sorts, or just dealing with a complex issue I will often go to youtube and simply watch something that I know is going to make me laugh.  On the top of my list, and I've seen it hundreds if not thousands of times, are two skits from the old Carol Burnett television show.  I love the Dentist routine with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway.  Harvey can not control his laughter, and it's almost impossible for me not to laugh just watching him trying to maintain his composure.  The second skit is about the two elephants, and the family playing a board game.  Carol Burnett is always turning away from Tim Conway, and I tell you it works like a charm to get me out of any funk I might be in.

Have you ever noticed how laughter is contagious?  I've been to a few comedy shows in my time, and the funniest part for me is the other people laughing, and that gets me caught up in the laughter, and then it's off to the races to see who looses all control of themselves.  In a previous job that I had I was driving about 50,000 miles a year.  I would generally be on the road five for six hours a day, and I would listen to the Comedy Channel on Satellite Radio. Well the people who would pass me on the road must have thought I was crazy as I would be laughing uncontrollably listening to a routine.  When you are in this bout of laughter you cannot focus on anything else, and that my friends is a good thing.  If you are fighting a war right now, stop what you're doing and just find something to laugh about.  If you are depressed try to discover the laughter that resides inside of you.  If you're just cranky and irritable, go do something silly to someone.  I love watching people get scared or pranked.  Yes I am twisted to a degree, but I will laugh at them, and if you're anything close to normal, you'll find yourself laughing as well.  

I know how difficult it can be to try and pull yourself out of a period of depression or as some call it a "funk".  Truth be told, if you don't try to get out of it you're simply going to go deeper and deeper into it, and then it's almost like game, set, match.  Once again, just try to stay upset and angry when you're experiencing a good belly laugh.  I was having dinner with my brother and his family one day not long ago, and my brother was acting kind of nutty, and we both started laughing so hard.  It was that uncontrollable laughter and it was simply amazing.  I'm not quite sure what set if off, but it was one of those spontaneous moments that will go down as simply euphoric.   When being challenged, and you feel as though there is no escape from the challenge, why not find something to laugh about and see if you don't get a breakthrough.

Laughter is a medicine.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, has done a study or two about laughter, and the merits of laughter.  Without regard to what results might be shown from such a study, I have no doubt that a good laugh will certainly change the atmosphere of any situation.  I guess the only way to prove this out is to get too laughing.  In all seriousness, let's be less serious.  We can be so fixated on certain things that we loose track of what is really important, and what is not.  No matter what someone might be going through I really believe that a little laughter will bring a much needed release from tensions and anxiety.

When the going gets tough, the tough need to lighten up and simply laugh.  Find joy, and in finding joy, step away from those things that are not really serving you well.  Laughter is a funny thing when you think about it.  Dark and dreary can be swept away with moments of laughter.  I challenge you to find something to laugh at, laugh with, laugh about, and see if it doesn't change the atmosphere around you.  You can choose to stay swept up in whatever is happening around you, or you can be swept up in laughter and watch as situations change right in front of your eyes.  Given the option to stay put, or to reach above the situation, what makes more sense to you?  As I said before, it's impossible to think about doom and gloom while you're peeing your pants with laughter.  Trust me, peeing yourself can happen when you're laughing so hard.  Yea you might have to change your knickers, but you certainly won't be worrying about others things.  Get to laughing, and get to changing your outlook.



No comments:

Post a Comment