Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Who am I?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46123010@N04/16362045233
Ten years ago did anyone know what a selfie was?  I certainly didn't, or maybe better put, didn't care.  I can probably count on two hands the number of selfies I have taken of myself over the last ten years, make that one hand.  I am not opposed to this new fixation that many have, I simply have never liked getting my photo taken, let alone take a photo of myself.  (Something I have to work on I've been told, lol)

Selfies are snapshots of us, at any particular moment, doing whatever it is that we are doing.  I've seen some pretty bizarre selfies over the last few years, and the question I ask myself in these moments is what was going on in their mind to take a photo like this?

If you take this new phenomenon to a different level, or better yet cut into it to see why it is happening, I think most people would have to say we do it because we want to make a statement to others as to who we are.  That leads me to the next logical question: who are you?  I mean when you get down to brass tacks, who and what are you?  Can a selfie depict who you really are?  Can a selfie get down to your core, your very being?  Selfies are just a superficial snapshot of the outside, and more often then not the outside is nothing like the real person you were intended to be.

If you were to take two selfies, one depicting your outside and one depicting your core, would there be any difference in the photo?  Are some of these people who post selfie after selfie really like the photo they have just posted all over social media, or are they trying to get us to believe one thing while trying to figure out something else?  Don't misunderstand, I really could care less who takes selfies and who post them.  Although, I will say that some of the postings I have seen over the years I personally would not have done, and it certainly hasn't served the individual depicted well, just saying.

I get the fact that selfies can be fun, and the motivation behind taking them is amusement by those taking them.  I'm all for having fun.  I'm all for showing others who you really are.  That being said, how many selfies really show the truth of a person?  I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but if you are really trying to find the real you, why muddy up the waters by trying to portray yourself as something you are not?  If you were to take a selfie of the real you, would those who see it recognize the subject in the photo?  I would hope that what people see in me is what they would see in any photo I am in, be it a selfie or any other form.

I recently completed a Three-week seminar series that I was hosting and the first week was solely designed to lay a foundation.  This foundation was all about coming to terms with who and what you are.  Anything less than this makes it almost impossible to truly understand and walk in your destiny. As I have progressed with my life over the last couple of years I have been fixated on the desire to really get to know the real me.  I wanted to know how the Creator of the Universe saw me, and I wanted to own it.  Now it hasn't been all peaches and cream these last few years.  I have had to accept some startling realizations, realizations that I didn't have all the answers.  I had to accept the fact that I had been the reason why so many things had gone wrong in my life, and I had to own it.  I could no longer place the blame on others, I had to take responsibility for what had transpired in my life.  If I had taken a selfie of me two years ago, and take another one right now, I can tell you that the two would be completely different.

If you have been party to this recent craze of taking selfies, do the pictures which show you, show the real you?  If they do, well then more power to you.  If they don't, then the only question I have for you is why don't they?  If you know the real you, the authentic you, the you that was intended since the beginning of time then all I have to say is keep posting.  I think that selfies came about because people wanted others to see them in all their glory.  Do your selfies show you in all your glory?  I hope they do, but just in case they don't, and they portray you as something you are not, then maybe it's time to get to know the real you and show the world the real you.

Selfies can be fun, but the real excitement comes when you get down to your core and show others just what you are really made of.  The beauty of your being is just that, beautiful.  The exceptional you is what the world needs to see, wants to see, and ought to be able to see.  When I look at people I try never to just see the surface of who they are, I try to get a feel for who they really are and I try to see them the way they were intended to be.  Try as I might most selfies that get posted on-line are anything but the real person.  Maybe it's time to take stock in who you really are and show this to the rest of the world.  Think about it.....





1 comment:

  1. I like taking selfies to preserve and share memorable places and times in my life. This blog Scott has written has made me think more about the extent to which I share my true self with the world, and so, I open the door of my heart even wider and say, "Here I am world, I love sunshine, rainbows, people, nature, laughing, music - YOU, etc., ... All That Is..." Cheers, Blessings, and Love! Thanks for writing this, Scott. :)

    ReplyDelete