Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Let's think about, and take a look at responsibility.

I have put off writing this blog for a few weeks simply because of all the things going on in this country that have set off riots and protest.  I am not here to talk about what took place in Ferguson or New York.  I was not present when any of these events took place, nor was I a member of the Grand Jury, and in the absence of having all the information, I will refrain from commenting.  That being said, I will say something about taking personal responsibility for our actions, or in some cases inaction.

When I speak of taking responsibility for actions I am talking about my own.  I cannot control what others do or say.  I can't control what people think.  All I can do is control what comes out of my mouth, what actions I take, and what I do from day to day.

I will admit that it's tough not saying anything about the situations in this country, but people spouting off just because they want to blow off some steam is never going to change anything.  The changes we need, need to come from parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, those who can have a positive effect on youngsters.

How many times have you seen someone mess something up and immediately they look for someone else to blame for what they just did.  How many times have you seen someone mess something up and instead of accepting responsibility, all they do is try to justify what happened.  We live in an imperfect world and because of that things will happen that are not perfect.  I don't expect perfection, and if I can't expect perfection in me how can I demand it from others.  I know I will make mistakes, simply because I am human.  If one knows that mistakes will come then why is it so hard to accept responsibility when those mistakes take place.  I've never met anyone who hasn't messed up from time to time.  I have however met people who never want to admit to their mistakes or take responsibility for their actions.

Until such time as we take personal responsibility for all that we do, all that we say, we are going to live in a screwed up society.  The mistakes I have made, I made.  I can't blame someone else.  Certainly there have been times when these mistakes were brought on by actions by others, but at the end of the day I still did what I did.  If we want to accept the good things we do, then we have to equally accept the botched things we do.  It's that simple ladies and gentlemen.

I'm not trying to make some social commentary today.  What I am attempting to do is get you to realize that what you are living with right now is because of what you have either said or thought, or done in the past.  We in fact do create our own universe.  If I am dealing with issues it is because I have put myself in the situation to deal with the issues.  I also know, as I have said hundreds of times in the past, that everything we go through we go through to teach us something.

Personal responsibility is a starting point.  If we can accept all the good, the bad, the indifference in life, then we can begin to take responsibility for what takes place in our life.  If we can take responsibility for what takes place in our life, then we can live a life without regret.  I know that if I have done my best at anything I put my hand to, then I can live without regret.  If I know that I haven't done my best, or I have tried to blame others for my shortcomings, then I will only know regret.  I choose to leave regret at the curb and live my life the way that life was always intended to be lived.

I have long lived with the thought that people can say anything they want to me, do anything they want to do to me.  I can't control their actions so if yelling is what you're into, then by all means yell. If blaming others for your mistakes is what you do, then I guess you will continue to blame others.  You can say or do anything to me but what you can't do is take away my birthday.  What I mean by that is you can't stop me from being me.  You can't take away my desires, you can't change my destiny.  There is nothing that goes on in my life that is not preordained.  I might not like everything but it is in my life for a purpose.  So knock me down if you must.  Tell me know if that is your thing. Ultimately it will not change the outcome of my life.  I have decided that it is my responsibility to walk in my destiny and walk in my destiny is what I have opted to do.  I can't blame others for walking away from things that should have been in my life but I wouldn't allow them.  I can't blame others for missing the mark or coming up a little short.  I take responsibility for all things in my life, and because of that I am free to make mistakes.  As free as I am to make and accept mistakes, I am equally free to do the right thing, in the right moment, in the right way.

My life is my responsibility, no one else's.  It is time we take responsibility back.  If we can do this as a society then and only then will things change for the better.  No more finger pointing.  No more blaming others.  No more running from what is right and only following the crowd because you have been caught up in the hype.  Take responsibility for yourself and let others take responsibility for themselves.  If you want the world to change then do your part. Only you can decide to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment