Friday, April 11, 2014

Another Day, another Adventure: are you ready for that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conorkeller/6786430303
If you haven't discovered it yet, each day brings a new adventure.  Unfortunately many people look upon this with dread, instead of looking at it as the opportunity to try something new, experience something different, and change things up from time to time.  Misadventure is what some people like to call it, but that just comes from a place of uncertainty, doubt, and fear.  Today I want to speak to the adventurist in you.  That identity in each of us that may be covered up because of various hurts and missteps, but none-the-less it is still there.

When was the last time you just threw caution to the wind and went out and did something crazy, you know something spur of the moment and totally out of character for you?  Oh, I know, that just wouldn't be appropriate, now would it?  Yea I get it, what would the neighbors think or say?  After all you do have an image to protect, don't you?  So let me ask you this Mr. or Mrs. Thing:  when was the last time you really enjoyed your life?  You know that life that is based on this image of what you think others think about you?

When we place our self in a mold and never allow for any variety then we often get mulled down by the repetitive nature of the life we have created for ourselves.  Notice I said the life "we" created?  This is not really the life that was intended for you, because life should always be an adventure and when you take the adventure out of life, you take away any possibility for positive change to come about.  Once again I am going to be a broken record, but it has to be said.  Everything we go through is a learning experience.  That being said, if what you are intended to learn comes from different experiences, then why in the world would you shut your self off from those different experiences?  There have been occasions in my life when I have been invited to try something new and at first I was not even interested in trying it.  It took some prodding from others, but in the end I made the decision to try these things out and wouldn't you know it, I loved what I did.  Had I stood fast and refused to try something new I would have cheated myself out of a wonderful experience and learning opportunity.

Now I know that life has a way of putting each of us into a box.  We have this responsibility or that expectation, but once again these are self-imposed edicts.  You can change things up, but you have to want to change things up.  If all you ever do is tow the line and never give place to change or the unexpected, then you have eliminated any chance for something great to pop up and surprise the daylights out of you.  I love surprises, they tend to bring an excitement, and in that excitement you have the chance for growth and change.  I would hate to think that life is always going to be the way it is now, especially if the way it is now really sucks.

So today is another day.  It is different from yesterday and it will be different from tomorrow.  Today is your first opportunity for adventure, at least an adventure that you may never have tried before.  What you choose to do today may not be totally out of the ordinary, but even if it is just slightly different from yesterday at least you have given yourself a chance for change.  People find themselves in ruts because people are unwilling to try new things, go to different places, or simply throw caution to the wind and just let it all hang out.  Think about it this way, why do we like taking a vacation?  We all need rest and relaxation from time to time.  Sure most of us have the weekend to recoup from the work week, but often two days off is not always enough.  That five to ten day vacation that you have been planning is great because you get to get away and do something different.  You get to forget about work, if only for a few days, but those few days are what will charge up your batteries.  But why wait for a vacation to charge up your batteries?  Why not just take an adventure and see where you end up?  It could be a simple as taking a different way home from work.  It might be packing up an small travel bag and when Friday gets here you just drive for a few hours and see where you land.  Not everything has to be planned out to the letter.  Not everything has to be voted on by committee and only then will there be action put in place.

Yes today is another day, and today can be an adventure, but only if you let it.  Maybe it's just me, but I get bored easily, and when I get bored I get frustrated.  When I get frustrated I sometimes get mad.  Face it I am human and I deal with the same issues everyone else deals with.  The answer to my frustration or boredom is to change things up, add a spice to life, allow myself the freedom to just do something crazy for the sake of my own sanity.  Maybe what you need is the same thing that many others need, a change, a shift, a new opportunity, a new adventure.  If variety is the spice of life then I want a ton of variety because I want my pantry to be full of spices.

Allow today to become a new adventure.  Believe it or not, today does not have to be just like every other day.  Today can be the start of something wonderful.  Wonderful because you have allowed chance to come into the picture and just do something completely different, completely out of character, and something completely spontaneous and crazy.  I can't wait to hear the stories from each of you.  Get out there and have the adventure of your life and then help someone else have an adventure as well, it will do you some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment