Thursday, February 20, 2014

Going for the gold, it might not be what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelpatterson/4309535745
How could I not bring the Olympics into the picture at least once during this two week period.  I actually almost decided not to but then a thought came to me and I knew that I would have to acquiesce and at least mention them.

I have watched quite a bit of the Olympics this time around and as I was watching one prevailing thought kept coming into my mind:  what does one think when they come up just a little short of the mark, in this case not capturing the Gold Medal or as a minimum the Bronze?  These are athletes who have spent the better part of their life going after what is sometimes listed as an elusive thing.  Face it, when it comes down to thousands of a second between first and second place, that is a tough thing to accept, let alone understand.

Here is where I come down on the topic of being number one.  It is wonderful to reach the pinnacle of success.  There are millions who think about it, dream about it, and wonder how to get to this place, but not everyone is going to be number one.  I happen to believe that there is no shame in coming up a little short as long as you have done your best.  I know plenty of people who put so much stock in becoming or staying number one that nothing else in life matters to them.  They are so focused on this quest that everything else is marginalized.  Now I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but when you measure your success or worth on whether you come in first place you are just setting yourself up for some major disappointment at some time in your life. There is always going to be someone who is just as focused, just as driven, and just as talented as you, who would love nothing more than prove to the world that they are better than everyone else.  I had a boss one time who use to love saying "If you can't be first, just don't be last."  I never really understood what that meant until I spent sometime reflecting on what  it means to be number one, and what it takes to get there.

On any given day you may be at the top of your game, and you reach the apex of your chosen endeavor.  On the other side of the coin, you just may run into someone who wants it more, has worked a little harder then you, and ultimately wins out.  Only you can know if you have given your all to something.  I can't control what others do, I can only control what I do.  If they have put more time into something than I have, well it is probably a good bet that they may come out on top.  Either way, you decide what you want to invest in your dreams and you go after them the best way you know how.

For those athletes who may not have stood at the top of the podium there is still a take away from the experience: they gave it their all and did the very best they could.  Here in lies the victory, with or without the Gold Medal hanging around their neck.  The same thing can be said about someone who has tried their hardest, put in the effort, and maybe came up a little short of the mark.  They are still winners, with or without the desired outcome.  If we constantly measure a person's worth by how they place in life, then we will miss one of the most important aspects of being who we are.  We are not what we do, how we do it, or even if we do something.  Our worth comes from the standpoint of recognizing our great design and realizing that we have something to offer others.  There are many athletes who have discovered their great talent and have decided to do something with it.  Some will reach the top and others will try with everything in them to get first place.  No matter how one ends up, they are still victorious because they tried.  Not trying to do something is the shame.

I could sit here and try to tell you that I know how an Olympian feels when they have just missed out on a medal.  I could, but I won't because I don't know how they are feeling.  I have had my share of loosing in my life, and there is no one out there who can tell me what I am feeling.  We want to make the hurt or disappointment go away and in the process we want to sow words of comfort and understanding, but that is all we can do is try to understand and be there for them in their time of disappointment.  I know how I feel when I fail, but I can't tell you how to feel in your times of failure.  All I can do is be there to support you and try to understand that you just need to figure it out for yourself.

Going for the Gold is a worthy goal.  Being number one is a wonderful thing.  However, if you do not see yourself as good enough without the Gold, then it is doubtful that you will see it even if you are fortunate enough to come out on top.  If you cannot appreciate the majesty of who you are right now, then there is no podium tall enough, no reward big enough, to give you a true picture of who and what you are.  I would love to say that I am the best out there, but alas, all I can say is that I will do my best.  Doing my best is what honors the calling on my life, and doing your best is what will honor the calling on your life, without regard to how one ends up in the competition.

If you are struggling with your place on the podium let me suggest that you take some time to think about why you want to be on the podium.  Knowing who you are and what you are called to do, is and always will be a Gold Medal performance.  When you are walking in your destiny there will not be a day that goes by that you do not feel like you have won gold.  It is time for you to decide what you will do.  Once that decision has been made then you will have taken one giant leap in the right direction.  There is a "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat",  victory is knowing your destiny and taking the steps required to walk in it.  The agony of defeat is when you choose to turn your back on it.  You might have periods of raptured joy because you have completed something to your liking, but it will never measure up to what you will feel when you are doing what you were created to do.

It is time to walk toward the podium and pick up your medal.  It will be a moment you will never forget, I can assure you of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment