Thursday, June 24, 2010

True Destiny; If life is a Journey, Why Go it Alone?

It's a humid day in Maine, and hopefully the rain that is coming this afternoon will break this awful humidity. This is one of those occasions where rain is a welcome sight. So what's on my mind today? If you know me, and many of you do you will know that I suffer from terminal focus, I mean if I am doing something I get to it and don't let a lot get in my way. You might say I have reverse Attention Deficit Disorder. The problem I have is that my mind seems to be traveling at a million miles per second, and very rarely do I ever have a chance to just sit down and relax and do nothing. I am always thinking about friends and wondering if I have done everything for them that I can when asked. I am the type of person who can not stand to see someone hurting or having hard times. I have so much compassion that the protector in me comes out at a moments notice. It's not that I want or can even save the whole world, but at least I want to be able to do my part and be there for friends when they need it. Problem is I have a tough time saying no or that I can't help them. I will give my friends my last dollar if they need it, even if it means going without myself. I guess I learned to do that raising a child. We always do for our children, and no matter how old they get we still want to be there for them when they need us. Anyway, I have been helping a friend lately who is in a very precarious spot. Did this person put themselves there? Yea, but never-the-less it happened and now they are paying the consequences. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to get people to understand that I do for friends because they are friends. If we turned our back on people just because someone else might be able to help them, then sooner or later we will get to the point where we don't offer in the first place.

I find it very difficult to not want to give what I have to make someone else a little more comfortable, or to help them get through a tough time. Maybe I am taken advantage of from time to time, but I guess that is the price I am willing to pay to be there for friends when they need me. I refuse to get jaded and therefore withhold the best part of my personality, that being a giver. There are plenty of takers in the world today, but Givers, well that is an entirely different story. Are there times when I wish there were someone there for me when I go through tough times, oh sure we all feel that way. But there are times when I have to put others in front of my needs because my help might be the only help out there.

Do yourself a favor and look at your attitude and how you either give or don't give of yourself. An act of generosity or giving to someone else can put a smile on your face and just might change the world for someone else. And one last thing; don't let people talk you out of helping. I know there are times when people feel I am be taken advantage of, but I am smart enough to know what I am doing, and only I know the real purpose or reason that I am so free to give of my time, efforts, and resources. A wise man once said, "That which you do for the least of your brethren, you do unto me." Maybe it's time we do just that and forget about what everyone else thinks or does. Think about that.............

No comments:

Post a Comment