Sunday, May 24, 2020

We remember those....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60868061@N04/35885644754
It has become one of the most iconic pictures from WWII.  This event, along with many others, has framed the history of our great country.  History is laced with people and events that have shaped lives, created memories, caused us to remember, and hopefully sealed our hearts with thanks and appreciation.  

We are about to celebrate our annual Memorial Day here in the United States.  We take this day to remember those who have fought so gallantly, and have given, as Abraham Lincoln proclaimed, the last full measure.  What I want to do today is encourage you to remember all those who have come before you, who may have inspired you, taught you, or simply provided you insight that you didn't have before.

We come in contact with millions and millions of people during our life on this earth.  Some have had very little impact, but others have turned your life around.  We remember these people because they have imparted something that was needed, or desired, wished for, or dreamt about.  We remember because we desire to hold on to those things that we can't afford to get rid of.  If you think back I'm quite sure that there are people who you have known who have played a huge part in your life.  Most everyone would look at their parents and would classify them as having played a role in your upbringing.  Teachers and instructors have played a role.  Bosses and co-workers have all affected your life in one way or another.   Each person you come in contact with will have an impact whether large or small, whether you see it now or not.  What's also important not to forget is that you, yes you, will also impact the lives of others. Your impact may not seem like much to you, but to someone else it may have changed their life forever.  I like to remind people that the smile you give to a stranger will ultimately affect someone half a world away, twenty years from now.

One of the things we tend to do as humans is discount the effects of our actions, or our words on others.  We often want to downplay our significance, and I can understand that, no one likes a braggart, but let's not completely eliminate the chances that you did indeed change many lives for the better with your words and actions.  There have been various people who have impacted my life, and tons of incidents that have brought me to where I am today.  I think as we get older the memories become so vast that we don't think or remember in terms of specifics, rather segments or times.  I remember the sixties, what a great time to live.  I remember the seventies, what a great time to dance and jam.  I remember every phase my life, and each period provided what I needed in that moment, and what I would need for later periods in my life.  These are what we long to remember, and these are the moments that really formed who we became.

Life is full of moments we remember fondly, and with each moment someone is probably attached to those thoughts.  Many people have come and gone who have formed who we have become, and while some of those people may only be around in spirit, their presence is felt daily.  I have a simple question for you today:  what do you think your impact will be on other people's lives?  Have you made it a point to leave something for others to ponder?  Have your actions provided memories for others, memories that will shape their lives?  Living is not just about what brings you happiness, but what you have invested in others that brings them happiness.  My desire is that the words I write, whether in this blog or in the books I publish, will have a positive influence in other's lives.

We remember all who have come before us, and I hope we have hopeful anticipation for those who are still going to come into our lives.  We meet those people who have always been destined to change our lives in one way or another.  You too have been destined to change a life or two.  I know our celebration of Memorial Day is only one day on the calendar, and while I appreciate that the almost everyone recognizes this special day, I want to make sure that I don't simply rely on one day to remember all those who have been so critical to getting me to where I am today.  I want to thank each person, whether they realize they changed me or not.  Now it's impossible to list every person who has impacted my life, so I will just send out good vibrational energy to each one, and with that, a wish for great things to come to each of them.  

To my Military Brethren I offer my heart felt thanks for all the sacrifices they have made.  I so loved my time in the United States Air Force.  It was a period in my life that I will fondly remember, and it was a period that changed me forever.  There are millions of individuals who have given the ultimate sacrifice to our great nation, and not one of them should be forgotten.  When we forget even one, we minimize the sacrifice they made, and that in my mind is unacceptable.  I encourage everyone to take a quiet moment and simply say a prayer for all those who bravely committed to protecting our way of life, our liberties, and our freedoms.  Each one is deserving of our highest honor and respect.  Young or old, male or female, each gave the best of who they were, and we owe them the best we can give them in memorium.  As we celebrate our past, we can also look to our future.  Our future is going to be formed by what each of us do.  There is a mission that each of us must complete, as there are people who need what we have.  Don't allow others to rob you of what you were sent here to accomplish.  There are too many people who are waiting for you to step out into your destiny.  You may not know these people, and they certainly may not know you, but that doesn't change that there is something that you are supposed to do.  I hope that I am remembered when I am gone as having changed a life or two because I was faithful to do what I was sent here to do.

As we remember those who have come and gone we acknowledge their sacrifice, and we give thanks that we can fondly remember what each did, what each meant to us, and how it has taught us the importance of sacrifice.  I salute each of you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart that I can reflect and honor you, if only in my own small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment