Wednesday, October 7, 2015

What have I learned?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65419981@N03/5961927946
To say that I have learned a lot over my life time is an understatement.  To say that I have learned so much about myself over the last two years is an understatement.  To say that I have learned much needed lessons over the last 30 days is equally an understatement.  No matter how old or young you might be, you will always be in a mode of learning.

As babies we learn to depend on those around us for what we need.  As adults we have been conditioned to believe that if we are going to get something we have to get it ourselves.  "Learning" is never going to be able to be condensed down to just a few important things.  When you look at life each lesson is of great importance and value, because each lesson is meant to bring you to a place that was always intended for you.

Many times we learn things the hard way.  You didn't believe your mom when she told you not to touch the hot stove or burner.  You did it anyway, and you learned your lesson the hard way.  I didn't believe my parents when they tried to instill in me the desire to save money for a later date.  Consequently I developed some very bad habits, habits that took years to break, and habits that did me no good what so ever.

Not every learning experience comes at the hands of something bad.  We can learn from the good times, we can learn from laughter and joy, and we can even learn while watching those sappy Christmas Love Stories on the Hallmark Channel.  The key to learning is realizing that it is for you, and it is there for a reason.  Some of the greatest lessons we learn in life come from very small packages.

I've fought learning in the past.  I've fought those things that I had decided I didn't want to learn.  Problem with this scenario is that the more you fight it, the more difficult life can get, until you finally surrender and grab hold of those things that are needed.  There are times when we allow our ego to get in the way of the lessons that were intended for us, and when that happens you can almost bet there are going to be issues.  I've had to repeat certain lessons countless times, but each time I got one step closer to where I was supposed to be.  It wasn't always fun going through these lessons, but in the end I had to admit there was merit to what I had gone through.  Each of us will endure life's lessons, and if you are wise you will learn from each one.

I was scrolling through Facebook this morning, and as often happens spirit showed me something very transforming.  The Dali Lama said this, "When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know.  But if you listen, you may learn something new."  Learning is a surrendering of your will.  It is saying that you need what others have, what others know, and what others are willing to share with you.  I don't know everything, and there is no one on the face of the earth that knows everything.  If one can replace their ego with a willingness or openness, then you have created an environment for learning.  This environment will take you to new heights.  It will set you on a path of enlightenment, and it will change your life forever.

I learned a long time ago that I don't have all the answers, but what I do have is the ability to get those answers.  They may not always come in the form I thought they would, but if I open myself up to learn, then I can be assured that I will learn.  I can't possible tell you everything I've learned while in this mortal body, just as you could never tell me everything you have experienced and learned.  Suffice it to say, each of us have had learning opportunities, and each of us will continue to have them. The simple truth is that we will be learning until we take our last breath.

So here are a few things I have learned:  I am divine.  I am a spiritual being who is looking to become more spiritual.  I am not what I own, or what I do, or even what others think or say about me.  I am just as spirit intended, and I am doing what I was placed here to do.  Now I can't do it all my self, and I have had to learn to allow others to help me.  This was a very tough lesson to learn, but I am so glad that I learned it.  I've learned that at the core of every person is beauty and love, albeit, it is often covered up by situations, or by surroundings, but at their core is goodness.  I've learned that I can accomplish those things that I dream about, and I will accomplish them in the appointed time.  It took me a while to learn that my timeline was not always the right timeline.  Truth be told, I still have to remind myself of this from time to time.  The greatest lesson I learned is that each of us have a destiny, and the world will be a much better place when everyone is operating in those things there were destined for.

Don't be afraid of learning, and never be afraid to admit that you still have a few things to learn.  The sign of maturity is to show others your ability to continue to learn.  Yes learning can be difficult at times, but oh the rewards for learning are far and above worth it.  Keep learning, keep living, and keep loving.  When you can do all three of these things, you will be in a very good place, and you will know that you have found your home.


1 comment:

  1. I love to learn new things, and agree that each life experience is a chance to do that. Thanks for writing this, Scott. Blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete