Friday, July 24, 2015

Step by Step; Inch by Inch

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62823862@N00/247695509
Life is a process of steps.  It is one continuous cycle of learning, doing, and finally conquering.  Each step is measured: sometimes big, sometimes small, and often without the knowledge of what awaits you at the end of each measured movement.  The big take away from all this is not how big or small each step is, but rather that you were brave enough to take the step in the first place.

As a very wise and enlightened man once said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."  Today I want to encourage you to step out and begin to accept your calling, your destiny, your charge in life.  People can talk about what they desire each and every day, but without action, then those thoughts are just that, thoughts.  Action and activity is what will bring to fruition all that you desire, and if having what you desire is really what you want, then begin to move toward those things you hold dear.

There have been many times in my life when I would dream about something: I could see it, I could imagine it, and I could feel it.  The only thing that stopped me from having all that I desired was the ability to take the first step, no matter how small that step might have been.  Often my inability to move past the thought process and into the action process was simply a fear.  There are many things that people can fear in this life, and often that fear is debilitating, but fear has ruined many a life simply because we allowed it to rule us.  Fear is simply the absence of knowing the power you have within to have and to hold all that you desire.  Fear is masked in the words that others speak about us.  Fear is layered in the expectations that others place on us.  Fear is not taking that first step because you wonder if you have what it takes to take another step after it.  No matter how you look at it, fear destroys dreams, and without dreams, is there really any reason to step out in the first place?

Each time you take a step toward your goals, you are looking fear in the face and stating that no matter what comes at you, you will move forward in those things you know to be yours.  As crazy as it sounds, there are people out there with all the talent in the world, and the only thing they truly fear is success.  Hard to believe that people could fear success, but this is a very real problem for quite a few people, present company included.  In the past I allowed my fear of success to stop me.  It took some very harsh but loving words from a dear dear friend (thank you Ms. Silverstone) to make me see that I had to own who I was, and there was no need to apologize for the greatness that ran through my veins.  I allowed false pride to dictate my actions. I was so afraid of coming across as conceited, that I went in the opposite direction and began to belittle myself.  This I must admit was destructive, and I paid the price for my lack of self-worth.

The process of life takes you from baby to adolescent, to young adult, and finally to mature adult.  There is never going to be a time when you jump from toddler to adult skipping the steps in-between.  The same can be said about the steps you take to get you to your desired outcome.  If having all you wanted was as easy as snapping your fingers don't you think everyone would be doing it?  The process is in place because you need to take each step, and only you can take the first step.  I can encourage you to step out into things.  Family, friends and loved ones can encourage you along the way, but ultimately you dictate the steps you are willing and able to take.

I was at a business meeting the other night and as I was talking about future plans for the company I was amazed at how far we had come.  At the same time I was mindful of just how important each step I had previously taken in my life had prepared me for what I am doing right now.  I think back to that 19 year old flying off to England not knowing at that time how what I was going to experience was going to impact what I was doing right now.  I reflect on things that I have done and to be perfectly honest I am amazed how each thing fits perfectly together.  I had to go through, had to experience the things I experienced to be in the place I am now.  You too will have to experience certain things to bring you to the place you need to be in, so you an fulfill your destiny.

Stepping out into your destiny is a process, and that process while different for everyone is still going to start when you take the first step.  You may not even realize you are taking steps toward your destiny, but I assure you everything you are experiencing in life is leading you toward your destiny.  If you can embrace the concept of destiny, then you can embrace the idea that everything happens for a specific reason and as you build up your list of experiences you begin to see how each piece of the puzzle fits perfectly into the grand picture of your life.  Each step along the way is yet another piece of your life's puzzle and while each piece has different shapes and sizes, each one can only fit in the perfect spot.

Each step you take along your journey is in the perfection of Spirit's plan for your life.  Embrace each experience, learn from each one, and know that there will be more to come.  If it's time for you to step out into the things you hold dearest then fear not.  You have prepared for this moment and you are more than able to take the first step.  It may be a tiny step, but tiny is still good when we talk about advancing toward your destiny.




1 comment:

  1. I am embracing all of the experiences I've had, integrating them, and walking forward with joy on the journey that is my destiny... and having a lot of fun! :) Thanks for writing this, Scott. Blessings and Love. :)

    ReplyDelete